Summer Internships at Imagine Science Films
Imagine Science Films is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization in existence since 2008 committed to promoting a high-level dialogue between scientists and filmmakers. From curating film festivals around the world, creating science films and hosting educational science-film workshops, Imagine Science Films aims to bridge the gap between art and science.
This summer, Imagine Science Films will be hosting a satellite festival in Paris and preparing for the 8th annual Imagine Science Film Festival in New York! In addition, ISF will continue with year-round activities including Spotlight films, Artist in Residence Program, and microscopy-film workshops.
We are seeking motivated and responsible undergraduate students and recent graduates looking to gain experience working with a nonprofit, break into the film industry, or continue to articulate their passion for art-science. Candidates should have a strong work ethic and willingness to learn and an interest in Imagine Science Films’ mission. Prospective interns should be comfortable working independently, but also working with a team and a supervisor. As a creative non-profit, Imagine Science Films supports the individual interests of our interns. It’s an exciting atmosphere to grow, gain hands on skills and obverse the inner workings of a creative non-profit.
- Interns must be available at least 3-5 days/week 10am-6pm. Start date June 15th through August 15th.
- Interns must be interested in science and/or film and willing to learn, propose projects and be self-motivated
This is an unpaid internship, but great performance will yield a great recommendation. We encourage you to use this internship to gain course credit and to seek out “work-study” grants with your college, if that is an option.
How To Apply
Summer Deadline: Accepting applications now through April 15, 2015. Selected candidates will be requested to interview and will be notified before May 15, 2015.
Applicants should submit resume and cover letter to Interns@imaginesciencefilms.org. Please specify title of internship position in subject heading. Selected candidates will be notified and requested to interview.
Film Interns will have the opportunity to work with our Director of Programming to contribute to our weekly series of Spotlight Films. These short films explore content ranging from lab footage to raw science data. Past interns have produced, filmed and edited Spotlights that have received hundreds of views on our YouTube channel and recognition from our presenting sponsor, Google. Examples of Spotlights produced by past Film Interns can be found here.
- Produce, film and edit two Spotlight films/month on various science and art topics to be hosted on the Imagine Science Films YouTube Channel
- Assist in filming and editing additional film projects
- Film and editing experience required
Program interns will work closely with the Director of Programming to assist with curating the 8th annual Imagine Science Film Festival. Program Interns will have the unique opportunity to become fully immersed in the science-film world, learn how to curate a film festival and be introduced to a network of filmmakers worldwide. Examples of films from the 7th annual festival can be found here.
- Research filmmakers and films worldwide
- Organize film archive
- Update festival and film content to website
- Communicate with selected filmmakers regarding festival logistics, media transfer, panel opportunities and film awards
- Passion for science films and familiarity with WordPress and Adobe Creative Suite
Communications Interns will work closely with the Managing Director to translate the mission of Imagine Science Films to the public. This is an ideal position for someone aiming to gain practical experience in communication and create professional writing portfolio.
- Source science and film related articles, images and videos to post across our social media platforms
- Help monitor general inquiries
- Write press releases and communicate with the press
- Write original content for our website
- Must be familiar with WordPress, Google Plus, Twitter, Facebook and Adobe Creative Suite
- Must provide one writing sample